Monday, March 7, 2011

Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth--Naturally (and w/ added health benefits)




I love making sweet tea, lemonade and adding a little touch of sugar to cream of rice or oatmeal; but I’m also not a huge fan of white sugar (as it’s over-processed) and sometimes I want something different from the raw brown sugar that I normally use. So, I recently came across an article on how to satisfy your sweet tooth—naturally & with added health benefits.


1.       Honey- Probably the most obvious alternative, this sweetener contains antioxidants with proven immunity boosting, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and more recently proved-anticancer properties. “Research has show that it’s bioflavonoids block carcinogens and laboratory test have confirmed that honey can shrink tumors”-Jonny Bowden, PH.D. & author of The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth.  Try using local raw honey. I like the Really Raw Honey brand (which can be found in Deans & Whole Foods). 

2.        Molasses- Your grandma may be more familiar with this old-fashioned sweetener, but it still holds the same perks today as it did then. Molasses is packed with Iron, Manganese & copper- three minerals that boost oxygen & naturally flushes fat & toxins from the system and therefore providing you with more energy! I like to mix a tablespoon of black strap molasses with some warm milk before bed-I think it’s better than a cup of hot coco. 

3.       Coconut Palm Sugar- This is a new one to me; this sugar tastes similar to brown sugar but is made from the nectar of the coconut palm tree.  Since it has a low glycemic index it helps to stabilize your blood sugar while improving glucose & lipid levels in people with Type 1 & Type 2 diabetes. It’s also high in both Vitamins B & C which provide you with energy & help to boost your immune system.  Coconut Palm Sugar can be found in Health food stores & is a great alternative when baking- as 1cup of regular sugar can be substituted for 1cup Coconut Palm Sugar without compromising your recipe. The Sweet Tree brand can be found at most Whole Foods.

This list is proof that just because you live a healthier lifestyle doesn't mean that taste or nutrition has to suffer. I certainly don't indulge in sweets the way I used to (before I knew better) but when I do want a little sugary-goodness, one of these options will definitely get the job done! Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment